Saturday, April 11, 2009

Childhood memories

When I look back on my childhood, a lot of memories come up. One special thing is my "afternoon meal“ which was my mother’s solution to dealing with a hungry kid (= me) in a time-saving way.

My mother worked part-time, so she didn’t have much time (or energy) to cook a meal when I came home from school in the afternoon. My school didn’t have a cafeteria, which meant that I was always very hungry when I got home. My father used to come home at 7 or 8 pm, so our family dinner didn’t take place before 8:30pm or so.

So my mom thought about little meals that didn’t take much time and that satisfied my hunger in a way that I could still eat dinner with my parents in the evening.

Most of these recipes were easy to cook, cheap, and consisted of ingredients most people have at home.
When I left home to live on my own, I rediscovered many of them, changed some of them, came up with new ideas, got better and better in cooking, tried other (more difficult) recipes...

No comments:

Post a Comment